Wednesday, April 06, 2022

A walk in the lower 7th

I think I was wrong yesterday about saying that one of the first things I did when we arrived in Paris was to take a walk over to Invalides. Based on the order of my slides, the first thing we did was to go to the tennis tournament. That must have been a Thursday, giving the women a day off between the semis and the final on Saturday. But let's pretend; I'll show photos of the walk first.

The top of the Eiffel Tower. Digitized color slide, Spring 2001.

Yesterday I drove up to a commercial zone (read: shopping center) just south of Blois. I finally ordered the new curtains for the living room after two years of waiting. We planned to do that in early 2020, then covid hit and we couldn't. Later, inertia set in and we just didn't get it together. But in recent weeks, we looked on line and learned how to take the measurements and we found a sheer that we liked. We decided not to order on line (in fact, the store we chose didn't offer that option) and just go up to the store to see the curtains in real life before ordering. They're non-returnable because they're custom made, so it seemed the prudent thing to do.

Turns out that I didn't like the curtains we saw on line. Too shiny. I found another sample that I liked and, although it was almost twice the price as the original, the store was offering 15% off, so I figured what the heck and went ahead. It's done now and the curtains should be ready in about three weeks. The process was easy and the sales rep was very nice.

I took advantage of being up there to stop at a big produce market for some good stuff. Tomatoes, avocados, broccoli, bok choy, and radishes, among other things. All in all, a successful morning.

7 comments:

  1. A change of scenery! (No pun intended... ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing the new curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the second floor, but never to the third!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avocados came home with me yesterday, as well. The one I cut for my salad was tasty although not as ripe as I prefer.
    Lucky you saw your first choice of curtains in person. I've had a few of those instances myself. Phew! Did that make your day? Did you pat yourself of your back? It is sometimes those little things that can really bring a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done on the curtains. I have learned, through some trial and more than a few errors, that it's often better to throw money at a project in the house than to penny-pinch -- especially if it's something you're going to look at every day for years. I cringe now when I think of some of the earlier mistakes., and how much I hated the whatevers for as long as I had them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. judy, pun? I'm missing something... happens more often than ever these days!

    mitch, me too!

    chm, I've been up top a couple of times, but not recently.

    mary, I lucked out and the lawyers, er, avocados were perfectly ripe and without blemishes. When I buy them at the market, the vendor gently squeezes the top (stem end) of the avocado to test ripeness. That's what I did.

    emm, agreed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okaaaaay! In the past I have squeezed gently the entire avocat but in the future I will limit myself to the stem end! Merci!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!