Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Place de la Concorde

Here's another in my small series of night photos from 1988. This one was taken at the western end of the Tuilieries Garden looking across the Place de la Concorde and includes two iconic Parisian monuments. The first, of course, is the Eiffel Tower in the distance. The second is the obélisque in the center of the place. The 3,300 year-old obélisque, a gift to France from Egypt in 1836, is one of two that stood in the ancient Egyptian city of Luxor.

Light trails of moving cars in the Place de la Concorde. Digitized color slide, October 1988.

The place in modern times is mostly a huge traffic circle at the base of the Avenue des Champs-Elysées on the west, the rue de Rivoli on the east, the rue Royale to the north (which runs up to the church of la Madeleine), and the Pont de la Concorde to the south, crossing the river to the Assemblée Nationale, home of the French parliament.

The place is also known for being the site of numerous executions by guillotine in the years following the French Revolution, most notably those of king Louis XVI and queen Marie Antoinette. Back then it was called Place de la Révolution.

You may have noticed that I over-exposed the obélisque. Back in the olden days, before digital photography, there was no instant gratification, no chance to look at an image to see if it worked. One had to wait until the film was developed to see how things went. I didn't use a light meter and I didn't bracket my shots most of the time. And, of course, I did not take notes to know what the exposure settings on the camera were; I was not that fastidious, at least not in photography.

11 comments:

  1. I’m still not that fastidious, at least not in photography. My new iPhone camera is supposed to be much better for nighttime shots. I haven’t yet tested it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous golden glow in these 1988 night photos. The obelisk is currently covered up and undergoing some careful cleaning to uncover the original pinkish color of the ancient stone. Supposed to be unveiled again in June or July. Kiwi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's still a very cool photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous shot - probably much better than a daylight shot would be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paris at night - with the monuments illuminated really points out why I enjoy it's nickname: City of Light (even though it was for the reason it was the first to have street lights!). Such fun to see your night photos! Have I said recently how eager I am to get back and see the city, again, in person?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rather like the overexposure, it gives the picture a zing that more ordinary lighting wouldn't have.
    And I didn't know the origin of the "City of Light" term. Thanks, Mary.
    Also, yay for plumbers who show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked after I had self-corrected but the real nickname is plural: City of Lights! I believe there are 5 nicknames for the city. Another post after I've researched it!!!

      Delete
  7. mitch, be sure to post some photos when you do try it out!

    kiwi, I hadn't heard about that. I will be cool to see it when it's done.

    judy, thanks!

    travel, French headlights used to be yellow, but they are now a thing of the past.

    evelyn, :)

    wilma, I'll have to look for one to compare...

    mary, do you have a trip in the works?

    emm, we've had a few successes of late, but we're still waiting for the deck guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly, no trip in the works, just dreaming, Walt!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!