Sunday, April 10, 2022

Les Invalides

The southernmost portion of the Hôtel des Invalides complex is a desacralized royal chapel: le dôme des Invalides. Adjacent to the north is the Cathédral Saint-Louis-des-Invalides. Under the dome of the royal chapel is the tomb of Napoléon Bonaparte, a popular tourist attraction.

A group of tourists prepares to enter the dôme des Invalides. Digitized color slide, Spring 2001.

I had visited the tomb back in the early 1980s, so I felt no need to go into the church on this trip. I just snapped a few shots outside the entrance.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't been inside the Invalides since August 1981!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can’t remember when I saw the Invalides that close! Good photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo. I really enjoy all the statues in les Invalides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On my very first trip to Paris, back somewhere around the Bronze Age, i was very proud of myself for getting into a taxi and telling the driver to take me to Les Invalides. No idea now why, but he understood me and we got there quite promptly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know Mr. Bonaparte was buried there. I thought he had been dumped off of Elba, so what do I know.
    I am very curious to know how NB is thought of in France - hero? villain? Putin/Trump character?

    ReplyDelete
  6. judy, pretty much the same for me!

    chm, thanks!

    bettyann, there are a lot to enjoy!

    emm, bronze age... LOL!

    michael, his body was repatriated at some point. He's certainly well-known, but I think it's not quite politically correct to celebrate him too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So helpful to have photos with people out front. I wouldn't appreciate the massiveness.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!