Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Saint-Eustache

Construction of the gothic Eglise Saint-Eustache began in the early sixteenth century. It was built on the edge of Paris' central food market, les Halles, which today is a modern shopping and entertainment district and major hub of the city's subway and regional rail systems. The south tower of the church was never finished. I don't know why.

Eglise Saint-Eustache, southern façade. Digitized color slide, October 1988.

This is another of my early attempts at night photography from 1988. I think it worked better than the shot of the Fontaine Saint-Sulpice that I posted last week, but only because of luck. You could call it a shot in the dark, as it were. I can't believe that I lugged a tripod along on that trip.

7 comments:

  1. I, also, can’t believe you lugged a tripod, but the results were worth it. I love this shot. The south tower of Málaga’s cathedral is also unfinished. A common story is the money was used for the American Revolutionary War. A more true story is the money was used to complete a major thoroughfare in the city. There have been proposals to complete it over the years but they‘re always shot down as unneeded expenses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1988 - maybe 400 ISO, more likely 160, long exposures

    ReplyDelete
  3. Night lighting really seems to enhance the structure of Eglise Sainte-Eustache. The only thing missing would be a clear, starry night in the background - but no complaints from me. Those flying buttresses really stand out with the lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shot. I love this church, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your shot at the St-Sulpice Fountain was very good, this one is stunning.
    With this lighting, the rose of the transept looks like Big Ben!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big Ben to my mind as well. Gorgeous image.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, interesting about Málaga's cathedral.

    travel, I didn't use 400 film so much because I wasn't taking a lot of low-light photos. It was mostly 100, but I don't remember what was in the camera for this particular shot.

    mary, that would have been nice! Instead, I got overcast.

    anon, it's worth a look!

    chm, ha! Jolly good!

    wilma, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!