Thursday, April 21, 2022

Fontaine Saint-Sulpice

This is one of my first efforts at night photography dating from 1988. Not my strong point then, not my strong point now. That being said, it is what it is. I'm pretty sure I used a tripod for the shot, if memory serves. The fountain in the square in front of the church of Saint-Sulpice is monumental and, when it's running, the sound of the water is almost deafening.

La fontaine Saint-Sulpice. Digitized color slide, 1988.

As I mentioned before, I walked through this square almost daily to and/or from classes at the Alliance Française. I saw the fountain in all kinds of weather, all kinds of light. It made an indelible impression on my 1981 self. So the photo has sentimental value for me. Here are a few more daylight views from my last visit in 2018.

If you look closely, you can see the top of the Tour Montparnasse lit up in the background. It's just behind the urn on the center left side of the fountain. I don't remember noticing that before now.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is stunning. The fountain looks better at night even though it is still impressive during the day. My paternal grandparents used to live near by.
    The English Wikipedia page on Fontaine Saint Sulpice is worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of the people represented are Bossuet, l’aigle de Meaux and Fénelon, le Cygne de Cambrai. The other two are Fléchier and Massillon.

      Delete
  3. An incredible fountain such a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, I don’t remember this fountain at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a great shot. beautiful at night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be listing Saint-Sulpice on my Paris List to see with an *Check out fountain!
    Maybe at night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molten gold! That is a beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. chm, I wonder who the lions are...

    mitch, yeah. The olden days. LOL

    judy, it's kinda hard to miss... ;)

    sean, thanks!

    mary, definitely worth checking out. It's a nice neighborhood, too.

    wilma, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!