Thursday, April 28, 2022

Tower of power

Here's the last of my mini-series of night shot photos from 1988. It's taken from the Champ de Mars, looking through the base of the Eiffel Tower toward the Palais de Chaillot. Too bad about the construction netting, but stuff happens. Let's pretend that it adds a certain je ne sais quoi to the image.

Tour Eiffel by night. Digitized color slide, 1988.

Monuments like this undergo regular maintenance, cleaning/painting, and repair work. Some more frequently than others. One year, Ken and I were walking through the square in front of Notre Dame cathedral. The façade was covered in scaffolding and had been for several years. We overheard another tourist tell her friend, "The one time I come to Paris and it's covered in scaffolding." No matter when you visit Paris, something's going to be covered in scaffolding.

5 comments:

  1. je ne sais quoi, construction netting in French.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photo and hadn’t even noticed the construction netting LOL
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The buildings were black in '61 when I first saw them. Also in '66. I didn't return until the mid eighties when everything was cleaned up. There's magic in the night, especially with the tour eiffel is blinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this series of great night shots. I am REALLY missing Paris and the rest of France too. I just learned yesterday that the Euro is at $1.06 US dollar, the lowest it’s been in ten years. I must get to the bank and buy some!
    For some reason, I’m commenting as Anonymous. Hmmm…
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, LOL!

    judy, ha!

    evelyn, yes! I don't think they had the twinkling lights installed yet when I took this shot. I think that came in '89 with the bicentennial of the revolution.

    bettyann, I don't know why certain comments come in as anonymous, but you are not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!