Saturday, April 23, 2022

Un beau jour au jardin

On nice days, Parisians and tourists like to spend time in the Luxembourg Garden. They stroll, they sit in the sun, they sit in the shade, they enjoy an ice cream, they push toy sailboats out into the fountain, and they play tennis. When I lived in the nearby pension de famille in 1981, the woman who ran it, Madame Cornille (which humorously translates to Mrs. Black-eyed Pea), prepared bag lunches on Sundays. I remember many a Sunday sitting in the garden eating mine, usually a ham sandwich on a piece of baguette, a wedge of supermarket cheese like la vache qui rit or Babybel, a piece of fruit (usually a banana or an apple), and a little pot of yogurt.

A place in the sun. Digitized color slide, sometime in the 90s.

This photo is probably from the early or mid 90s. A rather stylishly-dressed woman (not anyone I know) was enjoying reading a magazine in the sunshine. From what I can make out, the magazine is Télérama, a newstand TV and movie guide.

8 comments:

  1. A charming moment captured. You need to write Stories of Paris with characters like Mrs. Blackeyedpea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always pleasant to sit in the sun doing nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this photo! She is stylish and elegant, reading her TV Guide ;-)

    Did your landlady make bag lunches so that she could do Sunday lunch with her family?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe her grand kids were there, playing :)

    ReplyDelete

  5. Looking forward to sitting in the Jardin Luxembourg for some sunshine someday in the future, but I would be observing the lake or the other people! Your photo is calming... and is one of the many memories I have of Parisiens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a delightful day to be in the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, her partner in crime (I'm not certain if they were a couple or if he just worked for her) always had a cigarette in his mouth, and he had a course cough. I named him "Croque Monsieur."

    chm, and I'm really good at it. LOL

    ck, I don't know. She took Sunday off from making dinner for her boarders.

    judy, it's possible...

    mary, I hope that day comes soon!

    wilma, the big green spaces in the city are wonderful for getting off the crowded streets now and then. But I also enjoy just sitting down in a café, ordering a glass of wine, and watching the world go by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it easy to spoke the locals from the tourists?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!