Thursday, August 16, 2012

Planting a fall crop

It sounds like much more than it is. But since our garden was late going in this year, we didn't use all of the space we have. Ken tilled up the remaining two plots last week and we put in some plants for fall harvesting.

A row of collards on the left, chard on the right. That's the squash plot in the back.

First in were the collard greens and the Swiss chard. I grew them from seed in little pots then transplanted them into the freshly tilled garden plot. All the transplants survived and look like they're already growing.

A gratuitous shot of one of our first eggplant this year. We ate this one yesterday, grilled on the bbq.

In the second plot, I planted carrot seeds (a gift from our friends Evelyn and Lewis) and some white icicle radish seeds that we got in New York last May. I've always had good luck with radishes in the spring, and this is the first time I'm trying them in the fall.

3 comments:

  1. Looks to me like you know what you're doing!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are they called eggplants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the lavender pix; it is such a calming scent, and a scent I can actually tolerate without exciting my allergies all to hell!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!