Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Winter as we know it

This seems like a normal winter, so far. Fall was mostly mild, but dry. We're still on the dry side, but our low temperatures are flirting with freezing, and the highs stay in the low single digits. That seems normal. January and February are the coldest months, and there could be some snow over the coming weeks, but none is predicted at this point. We often have a little snow once or twice during the season.

Frosted leaves litter the ground.

Our winters are mild compared to many other places (like Scandinavia or Canada). I haven't lived in a real "winter" climate for over thirty years now. I'm not sure how well I'd deal with it, and I'm not really interested in finding out. I enjoy these mild winters. Nature gives us just enough to know it's winter without our having to shovel or deal with a lot of ice.

6 comments:

  1. "Nature gives us just enough to know it's winter without our having to shovel or deal with a lot of ice."....
    far more importantly...
    Nature gives us just enough to properly split the overwintering garlic cloves!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been 23 years since I lived in a winter climate and, like you, I have doubts about how well I'd deal with it. Even your winter might be too much for me. Frost?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm loving these frosted nature photos you and Ken have been putting up. This is a lovely shaped leaf, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tim, ok...

    mitch, I do enjoy the occasional snowfall. Note the word "occasional."

    judy, I'm glad. I often worry that I'm boring the heck out of everybody. ;)

    christine, taking interesting photos during this annual spell of dark, cold days is a challenge!

    gosia, :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!