Friday, November 05, 2010


Seen in the street near the main intersection in Faverolles-sur-Cher: these access covers to the domestic water supply. Several branches must intersect with the main at this point. The markings show positions for "F" for fermé (closed) and "O" for ouvert (open).

"Eau" means water.

What I don't know is if that means turning the thing makes the cover come off or if it turns the water off and on. Any ideas?


  1. Walt, I hope that the indicator is for opening the hole.... otherwise 3 appear to be off and the one on the right is only half on?!

  2. Walt - you could have tried turning one to see what happened !!

    Re: birds - I don't know of many that really can't fly. What colour were they?

  3. Beats the Hell out of me.

  4. I think those are covers, not valves. If valves were left on the street like that you'd have bored teens turning them all the time raising some hell for fun.

  5. You are just like me, Walt. Always trying to figure something out - looking down at the ground and inspecting even plaques in the street!!! I get a little bit of 'gruff' from those around me when I ask others about something like that - but hey, how does one ever learn anything if you don't ask questions? I agree with Cubby - I think they are just covers.

  6. tim, good point.

    jean, no, I suspect one needs a special tool to turn them. And the birds were light grey (1) and dark grey (3).

    susan, they were too big for that. I looked up all the possibilities and decided they must have been pintades (guinea fowl). I just didn't recognize them because I was focused on the dog.

    mark, :)

    cubby, such an American perspective! All French teenagers are polite and well behaved. Bwahahahaha!

    mary, perhaps you're right!

  7. yes, you need a sêcial tool (square hole at the end) and a long one (normally 60cm under the ground)

    And the youth are too lazy to try that ;)


Pour your heart out! I'm listening.