Thursday, March 24, 2011

A different daily grind

It's almost all done for the season. The vineyard pruning, that is. Most all of the vineyard parcels out behind our house have been pruned and the cuttings either burned or piled between the rows for mulching. Just as we hear the humming of the harvesters in the fall, in springtime we hear the grinding of the mulchers as they ply the rows, ripping the pruned vines to shreds.

The guy who drives the mulcher stops to collect a few stray canes before continuing down the rows.

The resulting mulch decomposes through the season and, I presume, helps to nourish the soil. The only remaining step before the vines leaf out is to tie the canes down horizontally to their guide wires. Some of that is done, but most of it remains. That's what will be happening in the vineyard in the coming weeks.

7 comments:

  1. You have such wonderful things going on. Always look forward to stopping by the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always beautiful. Always interesting, this land where you live. I am only familiar with the vineyards around Westfield, NY, and seeing them always makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the time of year that I want to live in France. m.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ability to track flights. I can't even remember what it was like without the internet. Not do I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great photo of rural France. Love it!

    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rick,

    You and Tai, my two exotic blogger friends. Always beauty when I visit. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. rick, thanks!

    kristi, grape-growing, like most agriculture in France, is a noble pursuit. :)

    mark, it's nice year 'round!

    starman, I know. Hard to remember the olden days...

    bettyann, :)

    ron, thank you for coming by!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!