Thursday, March 31, 2011

They just keep popping up

These little daisy-like flowers are called pâquerettes in French. They're very tiny and they bloom from spring through summer. In the height of spring, they carpet the lawns all around because they're too short to be cut by most lawnmowers.

This newly opened blossom's petals are still tinged with pink. Click to daisyfy.

These are growing in the vineyard under the vines. There are many unopened flower heads which look red and pink, but they all turn white when they open fully. This one flower is covered with tiny dew droplets.

I'm surprised this picture came out as well as it did since the morning was overcast and I wasn't using a tripod. Sometimes luck wins out.

12 comments:

  1. Thats a great photo. What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very lucky to live in such a beautiful natural place, Unlike me, everywhere I turn around is a tall glass building with crowded people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those little delicate petals look like seersucker... great photo!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the texture on the petals created by the dew makes them look beaded. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to have those flowers in my lawn! Any idea what they may be called in English?

    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. @BettyAnn, I think they call them "lawn daisies" in England. The flowers are really tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely photo. I was surprised how tiny you said they were. They definitely look like daisies. I have a shasta-daisy that I hope returns this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I think that they are lawn daisies. I liked them in our garden in France as it made it very easy to mow (as you could see the path of no daisies where you had just cut)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfection Rick, perfection. I think these are some type of tubular flower that comes up in the spring. They're not daisies per se.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess "summer-like temperatures" depend on what you're used to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. craig, I use the black one. lol. It's a Panasonic Lumix FZ-7. It's a nifty little bridge camera.

    dor, but cities can be fun and exciting!

    judy, interesting observation!

    buddy, merci!

    will, another interesting observation!

    bettyann, what Ken said. ;)

    jp, they're very small, but there are hundreds of them at a time.

    ron, I'll have to look them up to get a more precise understanding.

    starman, our summer would probably feel like winter to you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!