Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The hydrangeas

After I wrote yesterday's post, I got the camera out and took some pictures of the hydrangeas we planted out front. It doesn't look like much, yet. But it looks much neater than the wild mess of roses, camellias, and weeds that we replaced. When the shrubs grow taller and fill in, things should look a lot nicer. I'm hoping they'll eventually grow to the height of the garage window sills.

The driveway and sun porch and the new hydrangeas on either side of the garage door. There are some potted plants in there, too, temporarily.

We want to re-paint the white parts of the house on this side. Ken has already done the window sills on the other sides of the house, but we haven't done these yet. We probably should have painted them before planting, but it didn't work out that way.

7 comments:

  1. The side of your house now looks very smart, fresh and floral!
    Hydrangeas can certainly grow up to your windowsills. When we bought our little house in Le Grand-Pressigny there were some shoulder height hydrangeas each side of the front door. We had to fight our way through them to get in and see the inside of the house!
    Unfortunately they were way beyond pruning and rescue so we dug them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew. You're makin' me tired just reading about all that work. I know it'll all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am already looking forward to seeing those hydrangeas fill up their new home. They are one of my favorite flowers to see growing in France.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I have ever seen this lovely side of your house yet. You guys are doing a terrific job! I was really impressed when I saw that everybody by my sister's house installed electric garage doors. I guess it is getting more and more popular in France, particularly with the unusual, extreme weather you have been having in recent years.
    Take it from a SoCal gal : cool weather is much better than too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The entrance to your garage looks like the entrance to a separate dwelling. Lovely green hydrangeas!

    Mary in OR

    ReplyDelete
  6. jean, the parent plant is almost as tall as me, so I'm hopeful.

    stuart, I sure hope so!

    evelyn, there are a lot of them around here.

    nadege, it's the front. You've probably seen the upper floors, with the deck that is right above these hydrangeas.

    judy, thanks!

    mary, well, it is where the car lives... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!