Friday, October 09, 2015

Friday fifties

This week I started Monday Macros with plans to share a macro image every Monday. Today I'm bookending the week with Friday Fifties, posting a photo taken with the 50mm fixed lens. When I got the camera a few years ago, I started reading about lenses that I might want. The camera came with two "kit" lenses, both zooms. I read that fixed, or "prime," lenses can give you better quality images, the trade-off being that you have to zoom with your feet, getting physically closer to or farther from your subject.

Standing about 3-4 feet above the subject, 50mm f/4.5, 1/125s, ISO 1000.

I also read good things about the 50mm prime lens with its wide maximum aperture of f / 1.4, good for low-light situations. So I got myself one. Again, I don't use it as often as I do the zoom lens and I want to get more experience with it. I'm finding that it does a really nice job within a meter or two of the camera, making it great for close shots and portraits, but that it's not any better than my zoom lenses for longer shots, landscapes and such.

I've been posting mostly macros and fifties for a little over a week now without identifying them either way. So today, being Friday, you get a 50mm shot.

4 comments:

  1. With every one of your posts, I'm reminded what a difference a good camera (or four) and some knowledge can accomplish. Then I snap away and figure, I'll leave the artistry to the master!

    ReplyDelete
  2. original colours of leaves

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, awww, you're too nice. I always enjoy your photos. You find the most colorful subjects!

    judy, :)

    gosia, I'm not sure if that's original or not. I'm not even sure what kind of leaves they are! lol

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!