Friday, August 25, 2017

Summery tomato pie

I made one of these last year and we liked it, so I made another one for Thursday's lunch. The tomatoes coming in from the garden are beautiful right now and I want to enjoy as many as possible before I start making sauce for the freezer. This pie used four good-sized tomatoes, two red and two yellow.

We ate half the tart for lunch on Thursday, so there's another half left for over the weekend.

First, I used some leftover dough from the freezer. Whenever I make a pie crust, I put the scraps into the freezer. Then, where there are enough frozen scraps, I can make another crust with them. I blind-baked the crust, then spread a generous helping of Dijon mustard on the bottom. The mustard gives a nice spicy flavor to the pie. I covered that with a thin layer of bread crumbs to soak up the juices from the tomatoes.

Here is how the tomatoes were layered in before I added the cheeses, sprinkled with home-grown dried oregano.

Then I layered the tomatoes in, alternating red with yellow. Next, salt, pepper, oregano, and thyme. Finally I topped it with mozzarella and some grated Parmesan and slid it into the oven for about twenty minutes at 180ºC (350ºF). It's almost like a pizza on a pie crust, and it was delicious!

10 comments:

  1. I love your tarts/pastry. I just made a tomato tart tatin, a recipe I got from a woman that lives in Southern France. I think it may be the best thing I have ever made. I love the casualness of French food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you share that recipe? Have you already?

      Delete
    2. Mine - http://www.makeminelemon.com/tomato-tarte-tatin/
      Hers - https://francetaste.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/tomato-tarte-tatin/
      She lives in Carcassonne. She rents apartments and gives cooking classes. She has a recipe for puff pastry that her child made and I am going to take Walt's recipe and her technique and see if I can make a decent puff pastry. Surely if her child can do it so can I. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you. We'll be trying that.

      Delete
  2. It does look very apetizing. With tomatoes, you can't go wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The freezing of scraps is a good tip it shows how organized that you are. Your tart/pie/flan really looks professional and I mean that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful. I'll bet it was delicious. Adding the mustard sounds brilliant. Elizabeth made a tomato tart with tomatoes from our neighbor's garden. She used goat cheese and thyme. It was most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A work of art, Walt! You are a wizard. I love tomato pies this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!