Thursday, December 13, 2018

Gingerbread men

It's time to separate the men from the boys. The gingerbread boys, that is. A long time ago, I got myself a gingerbread man cookie cutter. I think I made gingerbread men once. Now I've made them twice.

This is the gingerbread man cookie cutter.

It wasn't difficult. The dough was a little hard to work with. The recipe said to chill it overnight, which I did. But it was too stiff and my rolling pin made a mess of it. But I got through, and managed to make a bunch of cookies. They baked well enough and looked delicious.

Naked gingerbread men. Scandalous!

Then I tried to decorate them. The icing recipe I used made a very wet mixture. It dripped and ran everywhere. The poor gingerbread men started to look like gingerbread zombies. Oh well. They still tasted good. Brains and all.

Gingerbread zombies. But tasty!

I will try another recipe the next time, especially for the icing.

9 comments:

  1. Use royal icing for one that will not drip.Of course, you may not have as much fun, then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just keep adding powdered sugar until it gets thicker..i'm quite the amateur baker tho

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun. Haven’t made these for years. (I used pre-made colored icing, of course. And Jerry baked the cookies.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thickethouse and melinda are right.
    I ignore the overnight-in-the-frig direction because, as you note, it makes the dough too hard.
    Gingersnaps are easier and taste better. Not as cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great. I used to poke a hole in the top and hang them on the tree- so cute and Christmasy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just this once I will dare boast I make'em better than yours. My mother's recipe is the best; do not dare to question this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't dream of it! Can you share the recipe?

      Delete

Tell me what you think!