Thursday, March 28, 2019


Some streets in Le Puy-en-Velay are narrow. Very narrow. This one is called la rue traversière des Tables. I think that probably means something like The Tables Street Transverse, a street that intersects the rue des Tables and creates a short cut to another street.

La rue traversière des Tables connects the rue des Tables and the rue Adhemard de Monteil.

I only know of the usage of "transverse" in English from New York City. There are four streets that cross Central Park from Fifth Avenue to Central Park West: 65th, 79th, 86th, and 97th. Where they cross the park they are called the 65th St. Transverse, the 79th St. Transverse, and so on. I imagine the word traversière has a similar meaning.


  1. it looks like a film set does it not?

  2. I love the fluid lines! Used to enjoy finding streets like this in Sevilla where I couldn’t even open my arms wide.

  3. With the same meaning, you can call a street shortcut un chemin de traverse.

  4. john, it does, indeed!

    mitch, they add a little adventure to a walk.

    chm, I guess that's what this would be.


Pour your heart out! I'm listening.