Monday, September 13, 2021

Another golden sunrise photo

I took this photo a week ago while we were still in our mini heat wave. The weather is still good, just not as hot. The angle of the light this time of year shining on the brown grasses makes them look painted in gold.

The end of the dirt road through the vineyards, the half-way point in our morning walks.

Mary in Oregon asked if I enhanced the color for these shots. The answer is yes. I take my pictures in RAW format. That requires that I use software to "develop" them before exporting them as JPG files for the internet. The RAW files are huge and very dull-looking right out of the camera. The developing process gives me a lot of control with regard to light, color, sharpness, perspective, and probably a hundred other variables that I don't know how to adjust. That said, I try to make the images look true to what I saw in the field, except for when I'm going for some special effect, like b/w, sepia tones, or something like that.

6 comments:

  1. Another beautiful photo. I’ve never used RAW format, but might just give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's very interesting about the RAW format and all that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never quite understood how the raw format worked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take me home country roads.......
    Beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well - now we know a little more about photo-speak! I had no idea if you had done anything - I know from experience sometimes the natural light is fabulous and really makes a variety of colors stand out and shine! Fun to explore these new terms.I'm wondering if I have that option on my camera. Time to learn a little more about photography. Thanks, Walt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, it's more work, but you get more control. Still, most cameras' internal software (which results in JPG output) is pretty good these days.

    judy, the RAW format is chock full of information that you can manipulate, and also lets you crop more extremely with good results than a JPG image.

    chm, I read once that all cameras take photos in RAW, but that their internal software does the "developing" to produce a JPG image. The RAW image is automatically discarded. If you don't want the camera to make the "developing" decisions for you, you set it (depending on the camera) to save the RAW image. My camera even gives me an option to save the RAW image and the camera-generated JPG.

    bettyann, :)

    mary, good luck! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!