Friday, September 03, 2021

It's not Vigeland...

The first thing I thought of when I saw this pile of grape vine trunks in one of the dug-up parcels out back this summer was the sculpture by Gustav Vigeland in Frogner Park, Oslo, Norway. A friend of mine (now deceased) visited Scandinavia when she was younger and had taken photos of that evocative sculpture. I've never visited Norway, so I've not seen the sculpture in person.

A pile of dead grape vine trunks in the vineyards behind our house.

We're enjoying the warm and, so far, dry weather. We may see a few rain showers today and maybe again tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm watering what's left of the vegetable garden by hand.

See what I mean? You be the judge.
Photo by Andrew Shiva, Wikipedia.


9 comments:

  1. I definitely see the connection. What an artistic pile of grape vines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I see your point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post, Walt! Art copying nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not just one statue,but over 200(!) at the Vigeland Park. It's 100 years this years since the works were commissioned. You might find the work called Clamouring Babies to be even more like what you saw: https://www.thewholeworldisaplayground.com/sculptures-vigeland-park-oslo-norway/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do grapevine trunks make good firewood?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are welcom to Norway at any time. May is possible the best time to visit. 17 ofMay is the constitution day and is celebrated all over the country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, and ephemeral. I imagine they'll be burned this fall or winter.

    andrew, :)

    evelyn, or is nature copying art? ;)

    bettyann, it certainly catches one's eye.

    mike, thanks! I think you're right.

    chris, yes. People around here use them for the bbq. They say that they impart flavor.

    svein, one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear me it looks like dragon fewmets

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!