Thursday, September 30, 2021

Jerusalem artichokes

I'm sure it's because of all the rain we've had that the Jerusalem artichokes are doing very well this year, especially those on the west side of the garden shed (to the left in the photo). In dry years, I don't water over there very much and the plants produce many fewer flowers. This year, you can see the difference that water makes.

Once the cracks are patched, I should probably consider a paint job.

The cracks on either side of the door are supposed to be patched as part of our deck renovation work, if that ever starts. We had the door replaced in 2003 when we moved in. The previous door was just crumbling, and it didn't lock. At some point I plan to do something about those shutters (they're crumbling, too) but we've got other priorities in the meantime.

5 comments:

  1. I hope you'll hear some news about the deck project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your shed has character. To add to Judy’s comment, tell your contractor there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people waiting for your project to be completed. And we’re becoming impatient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should you have the desire, Walt: at the Bricolage store one can buy a caulk that is filled with concrete-like filler that you simply squeeze into the cracks and then if you buy the plastic "whitch-a-ma-callit" that spreads the filling smooth to match the wall. It needs to be done when there will be a day or two of dry weather. EZ peazy!

    Replacing and correcting saging doors: I leave that kind of skill for the professionals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember, are Jerusalem artichokes/roots edible? Pretty flowers in any case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. judy, me too!

    bettyann, this year's lack of summer caused a lot of delays in outdoor work. I just found out one of our neighbors waited a year for a driveway to be poured. And his wife is the mayor!

    mary, "simply" squeeze into the cracks? You've obviously never seen me work. LOL

    emm, there is a variety that's edible (and delicious), but these ain't them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!