Friday, July 22, 2022

Wild!

Here's another wild carrot (Queen Anne's Lace) flower. As I mentioned yesterday, these flowers are amazingly abundant in the vineyards out back this year. I suppose that now that the grape growers are using mechanical methods (mowing, plowing) to control weeds instead of herbicides, the conditions for the plants to thrive have gotten better. Just a guess.

Wild carrot among the grape vines.

We have some of these plants growing in our lawn (along with most every other kind of weed). Most of the time they're not visible because they get cut by the mower. Right now it's been a while since I mowed. The lack of rain and the heat have kept most things in the lawn from growing. But it's time now. The weeds do grow, and our last two rainy days will cause a growth spurt. I'm planning to go out and fill up the gas can this morning. Mowing may start today.

5 comments:

  1. I only in the past few years saw what Queen Anne’s lace looks like as the seed pods dry. Still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever dig wild carrots to see how they look?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming legend says Queen Anne pricked her finger while working on the lace, and that explains the tiny dark purplish spot in the middle of these flowers. Also helps to distinguish Queen Anne's Lace (wild carrot, as you say) from poison hemlock and giant hogweed, that are both poisonous! Kiwi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to grow some of these beautiful weeds. Thanks for the lovely shot.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I agree.

    chm, I don't think so. Maybe once long ago when I learned their name.

    kiwi, good things to know!

    bettyann, it is amazing this year. I need to get a photo of the vine rows where they grow.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!