Saturday, October 08, 2022

Chestnut husks

They're not roasting on an open fire, but probably served/will serve as a meal for wildlife. Wild châtaignes (chestnuts) abound here. We don't eat them, but people do. When we first moved here, a neighbor gave us an old chestnut roasting pan for the fireplace. I'm not sure we ever used it. If you've been to Paris in the fall or winter, you may have seen street vendors roasting chestnuts for sale. I remember them, especially on the streets around les Halles and the Pompidou Center. The roasted nuts are a hot treat on a chilly day.

Chestnut husks on the ground. Pretty soon, Jack Frost will be nipping at our noses.

The part of our street that comes up the hill from the river valley is bordered by wild chestnuts. Each year, around now, the fruits fall to the ground and are crushed on the pavement by cars and tractors. Winter rains wash them away. On certain woodsy paths, there are so many chestnuts on the ground that it's difficult to walk, and their spines are not comfortable for little dogs' paws.

9 comments:

  1. Street vendors roasting chestnuts are a common sight here, too. I was surprised the first time I smelled them in Sevilla.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We only see them (roasted chestnuts for sale) at Christmastime, at the Missouri Botanical Garden, when they have hired carolers wandering around singing ... and offering roasted chestnuts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try one someday.

    ReplyDelete

  4. I thought I would like them since I like all other nuts, but the taste just doesn't meet my needs. Same with you and Ken?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joëlle and I collected chestnuts from the ground at Lamelouze in the Cevennes in 2012. My main memory is how careful we had to be of the spines. Leather gloves would have been good. -- Chrissoup

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, have you eaten them?

    judy, yuletide carols being sung by a choir? ;)

    evelyn, yes!

    mary, they're better made into something than just eaten by themselves, IMHO.

    chris, those spines are pointy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m never been a fan. As a result, I don’t even find the aroma pleasant. So, no, haven’t had them here.

      Delete
    2. Totally! I just don't understand what all the excitement is about with the aroma or the taste? I am not neutral - I avoid the vendors as quickly as I can on the street.

      Delete
  7. Is there any use for these husks?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!