Saturday, October 01, 2022

Douarnenez

Once a thriving fishing port, the city of Douranenez has seen better days. Sardines, anchovies, and mackerel made up most of the catch before the decline. Once in port, the fish were prepared and canned. The canning plants have all but disappeared, owing to the dwindling supply of fish offshore.

The église Saint-Herlé de Ploaré dominates the skyline at Douarnenez. Digitized color slide, January 1992.

I took the photo from across the bay on a rather hazy, misty morning. We had left Crozon earlier, heading out toward the Pointe du Raz farther west, so we didn't go into Douarnenez at all.

7 comments:

  1. I have to remind myself that 1992 was 30 years ago. I think it’s 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m right there with you!
      BettyAnn

      Delete
    2. And thirty years ago sometimes seems like the day after yesterday!

      Delete
    3. Hi, Evelyn. The day after yesterday is today! Lol!

      Delete
  2. Babies born in the year 2000 are now 22 years old. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what does the town do now? Tourism?

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!