Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Cabernet franc

I think this is cabernet franc, one of the red wine cépages (varietals) grown in our region. The other two are gamay and côt (known in other regions as malbec).  All three varietals grow in the vineyard parcels around our house.

The grapes are ripening now. It will be interesting to see when the harvest begins this year.

The primary white varietal here is sauvignon, but there are small amounts of chardonnay grown for blending. In the vineyards of Vouvray and Montlouis, not far from us on the Loire, they grow chenin blanc almost exclusively. One of my favorite local wines is a rosé made from pineau d'aunis, a very localized grape that I learned about when we moved here. The rosé made from pineau d'aunis can be very pale, crisp, and dry. That's the way I like it.

3 comments:

  1. I am with you on that rosé de pineau d'aunis. I have enjoyed it at your place and it is one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chm, and it's still good!

    evelyn, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!