Sunday, September 13, 2020

From the archives

Once again I find myself without fresh fotos to share. Here's another image from my overnight stay in Paris before flying out to Canada and the US in May 2016. I was waiting for a guide to take me and several other visitors up to the dome. This is a view of the dome from inside, looking up from the main floor of the church. The dome rises to a height of 83 meters (272 feet).

Looking up inside the dome of the Panthéon in Paris. May 2016.

The Panthéon is no longer a church, having been transformed into a national mausoleum shortly after the French revolution. Since then, 78 notable French citizens have been interred there.

8 comments:

  1. That's where Foucault suspended his pendulum to show the rotation of the Earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that information, chm! What musée is it in now? I want to visit it!

      Mary in Oregon

      Delete
  2. We had a great visit to the Panthéon during that last trip to France, when we visited you, too (or: you two, too). I hadn't been in since the Alma year, and I'm not sure that I even went inside, then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is way up there I wonder do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. chm, mary, yes! I'll post a photo of it soon.

    judy, did you go up to the dome?

    michael, if you mean the painting, it's called "L'Apothéose de sainte Geneviève," by Antoine-Jean Gros, 1811

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo! I just explained to a Spanish friend who asked me about the word interred. She wondered why when we bury people we say they are "in turd."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonjour Walt,
    C'est avec plaisir que je souhaiterais faire votre connaissance. J'habite à Montrichard et suis actuellement en échange linguistique vie Skype avec une de vos connaissances résidant à Seattle. Au plaisir et à bientôt. Cécile

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!