Thursday, September 10, 2020

So many light bulbs

When I was a student in Paris in 1981, there was a version of the old joke going around. How many Parisians does it take to change a light bulb? The answer: "I don't know anything about that. It's not my problem." Or, as Chico Rodriguez might say, "It's not my job, man." As young students learning French and trying to understand the urban edginess of early 80s Parisians, we obviously found the joke funny. Hilarious, even.

An attitude many of us encountered or at least perceived, now nearly 40 years ago.

A friend of Ken's made up a bunch of t-shirts printed with the punchline for the group. I found ours the other day while sorting through old clothes for donation. So, naturally, I took photos! The t-shirts are almost forty years old, too thin and too small for us any more. I'm not sure what to do with them; I can't think who would want them. I wonder if anyone else from that group remembers them or still has one?

This is the back of the shirt, lest we forget.

We're back in a summery weather phase with daily highs in the high 20s celcius. I'm getting a few things done in the yard and garden. There is never a lack of things to do. And it looks like my calcium treatment a few weeks ago was effective. There is a small late crop of tomatoes showing no signs of blossom-end rot. Yippee!

6 comments:

  1. There has to be a vintage shop in SF that would sell that for big bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember that tee-shirt! I ran across it in a drawer at my mom's house several years ago, and I'm sure that I finally tossed it... difficult, though. I had a Balmers Hostel tee-shirt, too ("Why am I smiling? Because I stayed at Balmers Hostel").

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice memory in that shirt! I have several packed away- they are too heavy for these hot Alabama summers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surely there must be a museum in Paris dealing with the history of popular culture that might be interested. Roderick

    ReplyDelete
  5. travel, you never know!

    judy, cool!

    evelyn, it's hard to get rid of certain things, even if they're no longer practical.

    roderick, there just might be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great history in those T-shirts. Too bad they're no longer wearable. I still have two memorable T-shirts from '83 and '84. They're in great shape (must have been really good quality) and they still fit.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!