Monday, September 07, 2020

Looking good

The harvest continues, although there hasn't been much going on out back in the last few days. I expect that will change very soon. Several parcels have already been hand-harvested and several more have been machine harvested. Still, large sections of both red and white grapes remain. The weather is predicted to be warm and dry over the next week, so I imagine the growers are waiting as long as they can for optimum sugar and water levels.

These look ready to me!

 

During our walk on Sunday morning I heard the telltale sounds of a battue (organized hunt) not far from our route. Barking hounds, blowing horns, and gunshots. Tasha was curious but not freaked out. That's the first hunting that I've noticed this season. I checked our local hunting association on line and learned that the season for general hunting (pheasants mostly) opens on September 27. But organized hunts are already authorized for deer and boar.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous color in those grapes and the old wood is a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those old grape trunks may not be long for this world. This parcel may be one scheduled for replacement (new vines) next year. I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!