Tuesday, September 01, 2020

Melon et jambon

A classic summer appetizer in France (and much of western Europe) is melon and cured ham. This year the melons we've had have been exceptionally and consistently good. I was getting a couple a week for a while. And the ham is always good, whether it comes from the supermarket or the butcher's shop. My favorite this year was the Bayonne ham from the butcher in Saint-Aignan.

The cured ham shown here is local, produced in the Berry region, and sold at a small chain of shops that specialize in local produce.

The Charentais melons (as they're called in France) are sweet and resemble American cantaloupes, although they are slightly different. The saltiness of the jambon cru (raw or cured ham) goes very well with sweetness of the melon. As does a nice glass of our local pineau d'aunis rosé. I think the season for melon and ham is winding down now. See you next summer!

6 comments:

  1. I do miss French melons and tomatoes that I enjoy when in France. That's life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really does look like a summer table, there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been enjoying a lot of good ham and good melon this summer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got 1/3 of my cantaloupe left, but no jambon. Maybe I'll choose something from the deli this afternoon!
    Yes, it definitely looks like a french table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. chm, I found some good tomatoes in the market this summer, which helps to make up for the lousy crop in my garden!

    judy, and it tastes like one, too! ;)

    bettyann, :)

    mitch, good Serrano ham, I'm sure!

    mary, go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!