Monday, August 31, 2020

Rouge vif d'Etampes

I harvested the two surviving pumpkins called rouge vif d'Etampes (bright red Etampes pumpkins). Etampes is a city just south of Paris where the variety originated. I kept one and gave the other to a nearby friend who often shares her garden's bounty with us. We're planning to use part of the flesh in couscous this week and preserve the rest by roasting and freezing it.

These are pretty good-sized pumpkins.

That leaves two more pumpkins in the garden, both of the muscade variety. I want to get those in and processed this week. Meanwhile, the apples keep dropping. I've made two batches of applesauce (in the freezer), but I want to make a tart this week. I haven't made une tarte aux pommes (apple tart) in a while.

7 comments:

  1. My mouth waters when I read your food posts. Now I want an apple tart... and homemade apple sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure your apple tart won't be like the cinnamon pies here in the US!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are just beautiful, fortunately not too pretty to eat though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I've got to work on pumpkins today, but maybe I'll make the tart tomorrow.

    judy, they're pretty, aren't they!

    bettyann, :)

    chm, you're right!

    evelyn, :)

    chris, fortunately! And there are many ways to eat them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!