Saturday, August 08, 2020

Up up and away

We haven't seen many montgolfières (hot air balloons) over our neighborhood this summer. There are a few that we spot far away in the northwestern sky, probably flying around Chenonceaux, Chaumont, and Amboise castles. So it was a nice surprise to see one floating by above the river at sunrise on Friday. The tall pointy tree just below the balloon in the photo is in our back yard. Tasha saw the balloon, picked up her pace and growled at it a few times. But she didn't go wild with barking and try to chase the balloon the way Callie used to.

 The balloon was moving from roughly south to north, right to left in the photo.

I'm thinking that I might have made a mistake accepting all that mulch on Thursday. I don't know where to put it. I shoveled about eight wheelbarrow loads into the compost pile yesterday morning. That's full now and I haven't made much of a dent in the mulch pile. Ken suggested we use the mulch to cover the vegetable garden plot this fall. That's a great idea, but until then? I guess it will just sit where it is for now, but half of the pile is in the garden path and I've got to clear that so we can get to the back gate. I guess I'll just move a little each day until it's done. Petit à petit, l'oiseau fait son nid (little by little, the bird builds its nest).

9 comments:

  1. Oh and I thought that mulch was such a great "gift." Too much of a good thing. I love seeing hot-air balloons (but I never chase them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's very dry in your area at the moment, but be careful if it begins to rain a lot...Once I really made myself quite ill when I tried to use up mulch (like yours, from a tree company) which had been sitting around for a long time and had become quite moldy. I noticed puffs of green air as I moved it, but it didn't bother me until that night when I could barely breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Thickethouse!

    Please don’t work long, if at all, during this heatwave, Walt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I was surprised at the size of that pile of mulch. Don't overdo it in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you are going to be the one shoveling the mulch, and not me. I hate doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, it will be good in the end. But it's too hot to shovel right now.

    thickethouse, I'm planning to cover the pile if it starts to rain.

    bettyann, right-o!

    judy, :)

    chris, I shan't.

    michael, not my favorite thing, either. Why do I do these things? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I was not aware hot air balloon in French is the same as the brothers who invented them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!