Saturday, August 22, 2020

Mulch

I haven't made much progress in moving the mulch pile. You may recall that our next-door neighbor had two large trees removed. Her contractor offered me the mulched branches and I said yes. The next day I moved about eight wheelbarrows full to the compost pile. Then it got very hot, so I didn't move any. Then we started to have some rain and the pile began to compost itself.

The pile has shrunk just a little in the just over two weeks it's been sitting here.

At the very least, I want to clear it off the garden path. Eventually this fall, when the vegetable garden is done and I've burned my burn pile (that's another story), we'll move as much as we can as a mulch layer over the garden plot. It'll get tilled in next spring. Ambitious, yes.

The pile started out light and fluffy. And green.

The first photo above is what the pile looks like now. The second one is what it looked like when it was dumped.

6 comments:

  1. It IS beautiful... except for where it's sitting. THAT is a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little by little, the bird builds its nest. Just think how much your garden will appreciate it next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy, that looks like some of the "projects" that I back myself into. You're 'way better at finishing things though, and your garden will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is no quiet happiness like a mulch pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just skip the middleman, plant the seeds directly in the mulch pile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, it'll get done... eventually.

    bettyann, yes!

    chris, we shall see.

    michael, :)

    emm, we do have a small pumpkin growing in our compost pile.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!