Sunday, August 30, 2020

It's not falafel

In the ongoing effort to use up garden zucchini, we decided to make veggie burgers. I have about six zukes that got away, growing much larger than I intended them to. They're not quite baseball bats, but close. So I grated one last week as the base for veggie burgers.

Grilled veggie burgers, ready for the buns.

I used a "recipe" that Ken blogged about when we made a batch many years ago. It's less of a recipe and more of a description, which is what you'll get here. I grated a carrot, a small onion, and a couple of medium-sized potatoes and added them to the squash which I had previously squeezed to remove as much water as I could. Next, I mashed about two cups (one large can) of pinto beans and mixed them in.

Into that went some unmeasured quantities of salt, pepper, cayenne, fennel, paprika, ancho chili powder and just a soupçon of ground cloves. Then, to bind it all, I added chick pea flour. Once that was mixed in, I let it all sit to absorb the flour and blend the flavors. After a while, we tasted it and thought that it needed more salt but, more importantly, the mixture was a little too wet. Ken had some breadcrumbs in the freezer from a batch of sweet potato bread he made a while back, so we dried those out in the oven and added them. That did the trick.

We formed the mix into burgers, two for the grill on Friday and the rest (about eight more) for the freezer. The burgers held together well on the grill and we ate them on buns with sliced pickles and ketchup, served along side some fries. Tasty!

7 comments:

  1. You guys are so creative. That looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those ingredients are good and when combined I’m sure those burgers were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious...My son who is a vegetarian would really like it, but so would I.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except for the missing lettuce (!) that's just how I like my burgers (reg or vegie!) with pickles and ketchup and if I'm really feeling "snarky" with a side of fries! I must freeze my leftover bread crumbs for the time I decide to try making my own vegie-burgers - good idea! Merci!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember when I was a gardener trying to think of new and clever ways to get through the zukes which came on like gangbusters. I learned to only have 1-2 plants at the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, there are only 300,000 ways to use zucchini. I think we're on #23.

    bettyann, they were pretty good!

    judy, :)

    thickethouse, I'm a vegetarian, too. But I also eat meat.

    mary, there are so many good ways to enjoy burgers!

    michael, good lesson. I learned it, too.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!