Thursday, August 06, 2020

Summer flowers

Even though it's been very, very dry this summer, the wildflowers are putting on a good show. These, I think, are knapweed flowers. They look like little pineapples with purple feathered hats. I also see a lot of wild carrot (Queen Anne's lace) and wild chicory in the fields around the vineyard parcels.

There aren't as many flowers as last year in this patch, but they're still pretty.

It's getting to be time to cut the "grass" again. But first I will have to pick up the hundreds of apples that have fallen from our two trees. This year has produced one of the biggest apple crops I've seen in years (at least in our yard). It will be a big job.

6 comments:

  1. Too bad Tasha can’t help. That’s back-breaking work. Beautiful wild flowers. SO dry here and still wild flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This flower is called a bleuet in French. Centaurea cyanus, commonly known as cornflower or bachelor's button, is an annual flowering plant in the family Asteraceae, native to Europe. In the past it often grew as a weed in cornfields, hence its name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you make applejack with these apples?

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, she'll chase an apple if I throw it. Then I have to go pick it up.

    chm, are you sure? I think bleuets are a little different looking. Granted, this photo does not show much detail.

    gosia, yes!

    michael, probably. But probably not legal, if I understand what applejack is...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What else could it be? It is in the family Centaurea.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!