Saturday, August 15, 2020

Geraniums

The geraniums on our deck are pretty right now, their bright red blooms providing a nice contrast to the green all around. We were entering our confinement phase last spring when I got them. I didn't want to go from garden center to garden center searching for the big-flowered upright geranium, so I got this cascading variety. Turns out I like them.

One of three planter boxes of geraniums on the deck. Behind them are two pots of basil and some mint.

Now that we've had some rain, we also have mosquitoes. The little buggers terrorize us at night, buzzing and biting while we try to sleep. It's one of the disadvantages of not having screens in the windows. It's enough to make one long for winter. I use a plug-in repellent upstairs, but the liquid has run out and I don't yet have a replacement cartridge. And I worry a little about breathing those chemicals.

9 comments:

  1. Your geranium, Pelargonium peltatum, is known in France as géranium-lierre. It is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful geranium. Ours petered out very quickly. It may actually be too hot and sunny for them in summer on our terrace. Oh, the mosquitos. They've had serious cases of West Nile Virus in Sevilla -- just to add to the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. still dont understand why the french havent realized the benefit of screens

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Melinda, and when I lived in Germany in the late 60's I wondered the same thing. Now 40+ years and they still haven't seen the need for screens???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your trailing geraniums really add a pop of color to your balcony. That was a good decision!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mosquitos: it only takes one. The geraniums are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found (and dispatched) a mosquito this morning...in the frig.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!