Monday, August 17, 2020

Another look back

Here's a photo that I didn't post before from my brief visit to Paris in 2018. It's the western end of the Place de l'Alma. On the right you can see the Eiffel Tower, of course. On the left is La Flamme de la Liberté, a replica of the Statue of Liberty's torch. It's become a memorial of sorts to Princess Diana, who died in the tunnel below the place in August 1997. People still leave flowers and other tokens of remembrance at the base of the statue.

In 2018, the area around the torch was renamed Place Diana by the city. The golden domes in the background across the river belong to the Russian Orthodox Holy Trinity Cathedral, completed in 2016.

Now that the weather has cooled down a little, I'm sleeping better. And there are fewer mosquitoes. It's supposed to heat up again mid-week, but I don't think the heat is expected to last long.

11 comments:

  1. I was wondering what were those domes that I didn't ever recall seeing. No surprise, they're new in the landscape. It shows how cosmopolitan Paris is! In addition to this Holy Trinity Russian Cathedral there already was a Russian Church, rue Daru. There are also an American Holy Trinity Cathedral, avenue George V, and an American Church. TMI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your information is always valued, chm.

      Delete
    2. Thank you BettyAnn. I don't want to sound pedantic.

      Delete
    3. Ditto, BettyAnn! I enjoy reading everyone's comments!

      Delete
  2. Today I would have been in Paris if there were no Pandemic. Now it's hard to remember life without the dang virus. If I make it back to Paris I will try to visit la Flamme. This photo is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for another great Paris photo and now there’s another cathedral to see on my next trip!
    I have to admit, I was expecting to see Tasha today since it’s Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...are you going to "reveal" where those striking yellow stained glass windows are located? I cannot remember seeing them before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great shot! Glad you're sleeping better. Glad summer is almost over (and I can't believe I feel that way).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another place in Paris to explore. Who knew? Thanks, Walt. We will have to rendezvous there again!
    L&L

    ReplyDelete
  7. chm, the city continues to change!

    evelyn, thanks. I don't know when I'll go back, either.

    bettyann, but it was Monday!

    mary, I think it's in or near Mortagne, a city in Normandy.

    mitch, thanks! I know what you mean.

    l&l, I hope we can one day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember that day well. spouse and I were visiting pittsburgh PA for my birthday. we saw the tv news; how horrible. it changed wills and harry forever.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!