Thursday, August 13, 2020

Pâté de tête persillé

Also known as fromage de tête persillé  (head cheese with parsley). Obviously, head cheese is not cheese in the dairy sense. The word fromage refers to the forming or shaping of the pâté in a terrine or other mold. It's a classic dish made with the meaty parts of a pig's head, primarily the jowls (cheeks) and tongue. It's all held together with a gelatin or aspic, and the top layer of the gelatin contains chopped parsley.

Tête persillé with pickles.

One of the best tête persillé I've ever tasted is made right here in Saint-Aignan. The meat is well-trimmed (no hard chunks) and flavorful. And the charcutiers in the shop that sells it are very proud, if they do say so themselves. I served the tête with bread and cornichons aigre-doux (sweet and sour pickles) and a chilled rosé made from local pineau d'aunis grapes. It's a nice entrée (appetizer) on a hot summer day.

9 comments:

  1. I think I would enjoy it as long as I did not know what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never get passed the name and origin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The slang version is so appetizing ;)

      Delete
  3. I would probably like the parsley part best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother used to make this, but I was not terribly fond of her version which was rather sour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s a very nice photo. I’m fine with the meat and parsley, it’s the gelatin that I can’t eat. The bread and pickles look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. I've never tried it. If you say it's good, I would try it, but I'm not convinced (and I'm not a picky eater). The bread and pickles and the table setting are a delight to look at, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would eat the bread and pickles. But the headcheese, MAIS NON!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well. This stuff is delicious, and not in some "look at the disgusting stuff I'm eating" way. The meat tastes like a very tender ham (in fact, there's a similar thing called "jambon persillée" that's made with chunks of standard ham) and the parsley goes well with it. The gelatin tastes like a light meat broth, only not hot or liquid. It kind of melts in your mouth. The French word for cheese, "fromage," just means something that's shaped or made in a mold, "formed" if you will. The translation is unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!