Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Le pendule de Foucault

A couple of commenters mentioned Foucault's pendulum on Sunday in response to my image of the Panthéon dome. Indeed, a copy of Foucault's pendulum hangs from the dome today. The original was installed in 1851.

Foucault's pendulum swings under the dome of the Panthéon in Paris. May 2016.

The pendulum is a demonstration of and evidence for the Earth's rotation. I won't repeat all the technical stuff here; it's available on Wikipedia and from other sources for anyone who is interested. Versions of the pendulum exist all over the world. The first time I encountered one was on a school trip to the United Nations headquarters in New York.

A stop-action shot of the pendulum's "bob."

I took these two photos in 2016 when I visited the Panthéon. A restoration of the building had recently been completed and visitors could take a tour up into the dome and to its exterior colonnade. If you're in Paris and can climb stairs (lots of them), I recommend that tour. The views are spectacular.

10 comments:

  1. I would love that climb. I always remember Foucault's Pendulum at the American Museum of Natural History in DC. I haven't been to the UN since I was around 11 and sadly I don't remember the pendulum. We saw someone famous that day and I can't remember that either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At one corner of the intersection of rue de Vaugirard and rue d'Assas, there is a late 19th century apartment building on which facade is carved a Foucault's Pendulum. It might be because Foucault made his experiments in this location, but not this building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those interested, I found a picture at Plaque du pendule de Léon Foucault - Wikimedia Commons. It confirmed (in French, of course) what I supposed. Google it!

      Delete
    2. In fact, if you Google "façade du 28 rue d'Assas", you'll be able to see the Pendulum on the left and the Wikimedia explanation on the right, the building being at the corner of the two streets.

      Delete
    3. The builder of this apartment building thought the Foucault's experiment with the pendulum was important enough to carve and etch it in stone for all to know. TMI?

      Delete
    4. Interesting! I looked it up as you suggested. Our stop on this street (with a grandchild) is usually at 36 rue de Vaugirard to visit the Mètre des Archives; we'll have to add the dedication to Foucault to the tour.

      Delete
  3. Yes, gorgeous floor and sculptures. The last time I was there, there were a lot of nets suspended from the ceiling because of the renovations. I’ve not climbed to the top, should have done it when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful place; hope I get to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, another senior moment. I'm sure I've had them, but I can't remember...

    chm, cool!

    judy, n'est-ce pas !

    bettyann, I don't remember if the dome had been open to tourists before the recent renovation. I visited the Panthéon in the 80s of course, but I don't remember being able to climb up to the dome.

    chris, me too!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!