Tuesday, September 08, 2020

The waste pile

A few days ago, I pulled the zucchini and one of the pumpkin plants out of the vegetable garden. They were done for the year. In their place, I relocated a pile of yard waste that I was storing in a corner of the yard. I won't dispose of it until the tomato plants come out and the rest of the garden is cleaned up, probably some time in November.

Stuff I've trimmed over the summer, including apple branches, clary sage, and artichokes.

The muscade pumpkin plant actually has three new pumpkins growing, so I've left that alone for a while. I have no idea what I'd do with three more pumpkins. We already have more than we need. A neighbor eagerly accepted one of the two mature muscades I haven't processed yet.

4 comments:

  1. If you leave your ripe and well coloured pumpkins in a dry airy place they will keep for months. I do this every year in chillier northern England. Here’s hoping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work exhausts me. I need a siesta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pats, I have tried and lost. My pantry is too humid, I think. Maybe the garage?

    mitch, and a drink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. when I had a garden I was constantly tending the compost heap - perhaps more than the garden.
    People were offended I had one, fearing it was 'smell'.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!