Friday, September 04, 2020

Inside the pumpkin

This is half of the rouge vif (bright red) pumpkin that I roasted the other day. I know it's a strange photo to post, but what the hey. To do this, I cut the pumpkin in half with a big chef's knife, then scooped out the seeds from the middle. I put the half face-down on a lined baking pan and roasted it at 180ºC (about 350ºF) for thirty minutes or so until a skewer went into the pumpkin with little to no resistance.

Half a roasted pumpkin. Think pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, enchilada sauce, etc.

Once it cooled, I scooped out the flesh. On this pumpkin, I was able to peel the skin right off after it was roasted, so I didn't have to scoop. I just mashed the flesh and put it into freezer containers. Easy-peasy.

7 comments:

  1. This is actually a very cool photo. Great job, too! My request is for pumpkin spice cookies (although I don't think they're usually made with any real pumpkin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors, and I bet it will be tasty, pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never heard of putting pumpkin in enchilada sauce, but what the hey! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make it sound easy enough for me to try this year. I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I agree with you, Mitchell, that is a very interesting photo, Walt! And, Evelyn, don't both Walt and Ken with their photos and descriptions make 'everything' seem easy-peasy! I love pumpkin-chocolate chip soft cookies that Kroger's sells - I haven't heard of pumpkin-spice cookies, Mitchell. Are those with cinnamon? or what?

    98 today, with 99 both Sat and Sun and then hot again all next week. Thinking about pumpkins should help me think cooler thoughts! Thanks, Walt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mitch, good idea!

    travel, I'll let you know...

    judy, :)

    bettyann, Ken discovered the recipe a while back and it's pretty good.

    evelyn, and it's better with real pumpkin, I'm sure!

    mary, I would melt in that heat!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!