Saturday, December 17, 2022

Le sapin

Here's this year's sapin de noël (Christmas tree, sapin means fir). It doesn't look much different from previous years' trees since we got the real-fake-Swedish tree from you-know-where. That was ten years ago already. I think I put fewer ornaments on this year.

Yes, that's a table cloth as tree skirt. Taken with the Pixel 6.

I am within my self-imposed limits for holiday decoration. The tree doesn't go up before December 15th, and it will come down on New Year's Day. I started the "tradition" of taking the tree down on NYD back when I was still working and wanted to have the decorations (including outdoor lights) down before going back to the office.

A wider view. Taken with the Pixel 6.

This year I didn't hang lights outside. The government is asking people to cut back on electricity use. They say that a larger than usual number of the nation's power plants are down for upgrades and/or repairs and there may be shortages this winter. Bad planning, I guess. Most of our lights are LEDs these days, so they consume much less electricity already. We also run the dishwasher, clothes washer, and hot water heater overnight when power demand is low. Still, every little bit helps.

9 comments:

  1. Your house looks so cozy and welcoming.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree and house look great. I didn't even put up a tree this year so I really enjoy looking at others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming. We talked about stringing lights on the balcony and also decided there was no need to waste electricity. Anyway, that saved us a whole load of work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmasy. Your chandelire (sp? that word looks funny)
    is especially nice with the curved arms. Tablecloth works for tree skirt (placed in my memory!). Nice to view the stairs from this perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "chandelier" - I knew I should check. Darn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From here, the fake Xmas tree looks very real and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!