Sunday, May 21, 2023

Asparagus

Or, as I used to call it when I was a kid, spare grass. I found green asparagus at yesterday's market in town and I grilled them and some sausages for lunch. The poultry vendor at the market makes chicken sausages with either herbs (when made with pork they're called chipolatas), piment d'espelette (hot red pepper from Basque country), or merguez style (spicy North African sausages usually made with lamb and/or beef). I got four of each style and froze half of them for another time. We had frites (fries) along side.

Green asparagus are not widely available around here. White is more common.

Since I went to the market earlier than usual, I had time when I got home to run the lawnmower over the south forty. The rest of the yard will get done again soon. It hasn't rained for a while and the grass' growth is slowing. On today's agenda. you guessed it: tax returns.

4 comments:

  1. You must love doing those tax returns. They seem to be on the agenda every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that is one attractive photo of asparagus :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just starting to grow asparagus in my Michgan gardens when I moved to Arizona. I wonder if the new owners kept them and are enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, not any more. They're done!

    judy, they were good on the grill, too.

    michael, that would be interesting to know. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!