Tuesday, May 09, 2023

Strawberry shortcake

Strawberry shortcake has always been one of my favorite desserts, often eaten at Grandma's house and, more often than not, made with store-bought spongy shortcakes and Cool Whip. These days, I make my own shortcake, usually in the form of old-fashioned biscuits, and I use French crème fraîche (a very lightly soured cream) in place of the store-bought whipped cream product. Like my grandmother did, I sprinkle the cut berries with a little sugar before serving them.

Strawberry shortcake, cream on top.

The cake in this case was a yogurt cake, made thin in a sheet pan. It's a little sweeter than biscuits, even after I cut the amount of sugar in the recipe by half, but no less delicious. We're in the height of strawberry season right now and I'm enjoying it.

7 comments:

  1. I am licking the screen. Yum!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so good. Just like Grandma used to make -- except for the cakes and cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sstill ee those little round sponge cakes in the grocery. My mom served the berries on angel food cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that looks really, really good. How nice it would be to have those fresh, sweet, tasty strawberries. It seems like the ones we get in the store here are just such a disappointment.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! Strawberry season only comes once a year: Indulge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. bettyann, I hope you have something to gargle with! LOL

    mitch, ha!

    evelyn, that sounds good, maybe I'll make that next time.

    judy, the berries are local and don't have to travel far. And they're often picked the day before market day, according to the vendor.

    myk, not to worry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite way to eat strawberries is to cut ripe fruits (something almost unknown in the U.S.) in two in a shallow dish, add sugar and red wine. With the cake of your choice. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!