Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Snowball effect

Our neighbors have a beautiful snowball bush in their yard and we have a great view of it from our kitchen window and the deck. It's at peak bloom right now. The flowers will soon fade and the tree will be green until the fall.

Our neighbors' snowball bush seen from the deck.

I did some more mowing in the north forty yesterday. I'm reducing the size of the "wild meadow" by mowing a wide margin all around. It's tough going because the grass is thick and tall, as are the wildflowers and tree saplings that grow in the yard. I don't see any sign of poppies coming back. I wonder why they showed up last year, but not this year.

6 comments:

  1. Walt, poppies are flowers of cultivation and need open soil to spring from.... the easiest way is to scratch down to bare soil in the wild area so that the myriad of poppy seeds that are there are exposed in bare soil.... it isn't too late to do a trial patch in your wild area and see what comes up.
    Also, you need to let all the seed fall before mowing it flat... late August to early September is the norm.
    Is that rich maroon maple in your garden... lovely that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snowball bush is beautiful. Our friends just planted a big one on their terrace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a snowball bush on one side of our house -- it used to look fabulous every spring, but it's not doing well these days. I love those snowball blossoms.
    I just realized that I had missed your post about the successful salmon grilling-- looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see that weeping willow every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo, great composition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tim, I did let the seed fall before I mowed last year, but I didn't do any scratching. That must be it.

    mitch, I want one. Time to hit the nursery!

    judy, The white flowers are amazing.

    evelyn, :)

    chm, merci !

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!