Monday, May 22, 2023

Tarte aux fraises

I've been wanting to make a strawberry tart since the berry season started, but I worried that I wouldn't be able to make the crème pâtissière (pastry cream) successfully. Past attempts resulted in a thin sauce that wouldn't thicken or a sauce that thickened too much and became lumpy. Ken came to the rescue and offered to make it this time. The crème worked well and was delicious (although Ken mentioned that it could have been a little sweeter). I did the crust, a pâte sablée. Instead of glazing the fruit, I made a coulis with strawberries and sugar and poured that over the berries.

Fresh strawberries set on a layer of pastry cream in a shortbread or cookie crust.

Sunday was a productive day. I did the taxes! That's done for another year. And... I planted the tomato seedlings out in the garden. First I needed to rake a little to smooth out the dirt, then pound the stakes into the ground. There are ten plants, three varieties. Today I hope to get the zucchini and pumpkin seedlings in. Then I can think about planting a row of green beans. And there's grass to be cut!

7 comments:

  1. HOLY COW that's a beautiful strawberry tart. Wow!
    Congrats on getting the taxes done :) Oh, and the tomatoes in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one gorgeous tart. Congrats on the taxes. Can I send you ours now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like the Tarte aux fraises the Image of the week is art and should be in Pompidou!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that's so mouthwatering... ;-)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan from Perth22 May, 2023 14:47

    This was Jan from Perth....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dessert is well deserved after you completed your taxes And the outside chores! Very attractive tarte! Miam, miam!

    I am so pleased the garden is starting and the weather is cooperating this season. If only I had a garden space I could have accepted a few of the heritage varieties of tomato seedlings that were on offer at our pickleball courts! One of the players had extras!

    ReplyDelete
  7. judy, thanks!

    mitch, yes. Cash would be best. Oh, you probably meant the return, not the actual taxes...

    chm, it might be there by now... lol

    jan, it was tasty!

    mary, it's different every year, but it's still fun.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!