Saturday, May 20, 2023

The meadow project

Lord, we don't need another meadow.

A fellow blogger in Cleveland, OH, posted yesterday about a movement in the US called "No Mow May." People are being encouraged to allow their lawns to grow during the month of May to help provide a feeding ground for pollinators. Little did I know that I was part of the game.

The north forty, about 1/3 mowed, 2/3 not. That post on the lower left is a distorted view of the clothesline.
Part of me wants to cut pretty patterns through the tall grass. The rest of me is lazy. Maybe next year.

My reasons for not mowing were not so noble as suburban America's. I wanted wild poppies to bloom in the spot where they bloomed last year. I didn't get my wish, but I did allow a big section of the north forty to put up a lot of other wildflowers. They may not be easy to see in this photo, but there are tiny flowers of yellow, blue, white, and purple all through the green. You can see that I've mowed a path around the edge of the plot. A few days ago I expanded the mowed part. That stuff is hard to cut down when it's this tall. I've been steadily mowing the other sections of the lawn (the west and south forties) all along. We live in the country where there are meadows a-plenty, so I don't feel any great need to let the whole property go weedy.

4 comments:

  1. No Mow May has been common in other parts of the world, too. Fun idea except for the difficulty of mowing it all down a month later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I see the little flowers :)
    One of our neighbors does the no-mow-May thing, so he has an old, unattractive house, and a bunch of tall, unattractive, weedy-looking grass. I hope it is helping the pollinators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, it is a bear to mow. I'm going to leave mine alone for as long as I can. Nothing really goes on in that part of the yard.

    judy, shabby chic? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good for you! I think well trimmed lawns as sort of useless when gardens and prairie lawns are better for us all.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!