Tuesday, May 23, 2023

The garden is (mostly) in

Yesterday afternoon I planted three zucchini seedlings and two pumpkin seedlings. They were getting a little leggy in the greenhouse, so it was time. The next thing to do is to get a first row of green bean seeds in. Then the vegetable garden will be more or less set for the summer. Except, of course, for watering and weeding. What fun!

Ten tomatoes on the left, red peonies blooming on the right and, next to them, the artichokes have good-sized buds already.

I do miss having eggplant and peppers in the garden. We had some really good years for them early on, but then the drought settled in and the fruit quality and yield dwindled, so I kind of gave up on them. Last year was more or less a bust for zukes and toms (at least in my garden), but the green beans did well. This year, however, the soil is looking and feeling better than is has in recent years after the relatively deep tilling that the landscaper did. So I'm hopeful. And I'm trying to be better about adding our compost in. Fingers crossed.

9 comments:

  1. What a stunning photo. Those trees that remain look very happy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn’t you give up also on zukes and toms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year we had a very weird summer, too dry and too hot. Because it was hot and dry early on, I wasn't able to till the garden plot properly. The soil was more like concrete than humus. It was not a good year, or even a poor year. It was a disastrous year.

      Delete
  3. Hoping for future lush garden photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tree line is an attractive backdrop to your garden as well as the artichokes and peonies. This will be the year! Yes, all fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep forgetting to comment on that artwork? Where is that from? And...What is it? To me, it looks like leftover cement blocks - but yet artistic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m home and just got caught up with you and Ken. Good luck with the garden. I’m predicting a bumper crop.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, the tall cedar on the far left is dying, so it'll come out sometime in the next year. :(

    chm, I just wanted to keep trying, and tomatoes from the garden can be so good.

    judy, thanks!

    evelyn, me too!

    mary, I saw that in Blois. I think it's old building stone set in an artistic way.

    bettyann, I hope you're right!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!