Monday, February 12, 2024

Cyclamen

Over the past couple of weeks we've been watching our back yard's annual cyclamen bloom. Patches of the little purple flowers pop up in mid to late winter, just ahead of the primroses. A sure sign of the coming spring.

Cyclamen in the north forty. That tree is about one meter, or three feet, in diameter.

Can you see the tree trunk in the upper left of the photo? That's our very tall Himalayan cedar that, save for a few lower branches, is just about dead. About two years ago, the guy who does our hedges pointed out that the tree seemed to by dying from the top. I think I was in denial for a while, but it soon became clear that we'd lose the tree entirely.

So, today is the day. The crew is expected to arrive this morning to take the tree down. I'll take photos as it happens. The back yard is going to be a very different place without that huge tree, but there's no choice in the matter. It has to be taken down before it comes down on its own, and it's close enough to the house to be a threat, especially when the wind howls.

3 comments:

  1. The cyclamen is a refreshing reminder that spring is on its way. Too bad about the cedar tree. You’ve lost a lot of wonderful old trees in recent years. Now you can put in that swimming pool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love to see your cyclamen since I’ve had no luck growing them. Thanks.
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. mitch, I miss some of them. A little. But I'm mostly happy they're gone.

    bettyann, that patch got trampled yesterday by the guys taking down the tree. But they'll come back, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!