Sunday, February 18, 2024

Saturday was pizza day

I haven't made pizza in a while, so it was time. I made my standard dough: 333 grams of all-purpose flour, 222 grams (a little less than a cup) of water, a teaspoon of dry yeast, and a pinch of salt. It rises for about three hours. We had some leftover meat sauce in the freezer that I had labeled "pizza sauce," so I thawed it out and added a little tomato paste to it. Then I cut up slices of ham, some fresh mushrooms, and thawed some frozen bell pepper strips. Finally, Ken cut up the last of a Saint Nectaire cheese. After shaping the dough (by hand, no rolling) and adding the toppings, I dotted the pie with a handful of black olives. 

The first of two pizzas. Delicious!

The pizza baked on a stone in a hot oven (270ºC or about 500ºF) until it was done, about fifteen or twenty minutes. As usual, I made two pies for our main meal of the day. The second one got grated meule fruitée, a kind of comté cheese. A green salad would have been a good accompaniment, but for some reason we just didn't.

9 comments:

  1. A work of art. You guys know how to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that looks so mouthwatering...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pizza post coming up soon, you inspired me to make pizza dough at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try your dough recipe soon. Your crusts look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pizza Day, indeed! Miam, miam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary in Oregon (forgot!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mitch, so do you guys!

    jan, it was pretty good. I've improved the crust recipe over the years.

    travel, cool! I hope you blog about it...

    bettyann, :)

    evelyn, good luck! I hope it works for you.

    judy, you can say that again! ;)

    mary, indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!