Thursday, February 29, 2024

Notre Dame de Venasque

I don't have any photos from inside the church at the top of the hill in Venasque, so I guess we didn't go in. The Wikipedia entry for Venasque mentions that the building is Romanesque in style, but doesn't say much else. I didn't do any further research.

One of the key characteristics of Romanesque architecture is rounded arches.
Notre Dame de Venasque. Digitized color slide, September 2001.

So, today is Leap Day. Our temperatures are slowly going down again. I've had fires in the wood stove for the past few days, and I think there will be more to come. The wood pile is dwindling and I'm scrounging for dry kindling. Come on, Spring!

5 comments:

  1. There’s something beautiful about that building. We went down to 11C overnight and are supposed to get up to 20 again during the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 39 here as I type. That church looks really old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The church looks almost like a fort. 83 here yesterday, 70 today. C’mon spring!
    BettyAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been snowing here, but not sticking. I texted my french group and one further west and close to the coast sent us a photo of it sticking where she lives! I just looked out and it has stopped snowing and looking at my outdoor thermometer it is now 38 F. The snow was coming down about an hour ago, so it must have been close to freezing then. We were playing pickleball over the weekend in the 60's! I looked up Venasque yesterday after your posting. Right in the middle of the Luberon! I will have to visit there, next trip! My daughter took me to Fontaine de Vaucluse as she had gone there with her classmates and she wanted to spend more time there. I agree that church looks more like a fortress with those thick walls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mitch, I'm ready for some 20s. I may have to wait a while.

    evelyn, Jack Benny weather! LOL

    bettyann, yikes! That's warm!

    mary, Ken and I went to Fontaine de Vaucluse back in 1989 and had a picnic lunch close to the spring.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!