Tuesday, February 06, 2024

Your guess is as good as mine

Or better. I haven't really tried to identify this wrought iron belfry in Provence. I don't remember it, and its position in the slide order isn't helping me. If any of you recognize it, please speak up!

Somewhere in Provence. Digitized color slide, September 2001.

The title of this post is one of those expressions that our friend CHM was amused (or annoyed) by. We Anglophones toss it around without thinking but it makes some Francophones scratch their heads. Or at least one that I know of.

6 comments:

  1. I love how our international friends make us think twice about our common expressions, Of course, it works both ways. Anyway, I have no guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno, but maybe that hanging light is a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use that phrase - I don't see what is questionnable about it! We are admitting our ignorance and offering that each of the two people might as well guess! Oh well, each to her own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mitch, for sure! Another interesting exercise is to try to understand song lyrics.

    judy, :)

    evelyn, what does it say to you?

    anon, that's just the thing. Certain expressions sound fine to anglophones, but non-native speakers may think them odd or funny-sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary in Oregon was anon!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!